LAST UPDATED: April 28, 2020
- Our social media pages located at https://twitter.com/DiaTribeNews and https://www.instagram.com/diatribe and https://www.facebook.com/diaTribeNews (collectively, our “Social Media Pages”); and
Collectively, we refer to the Websites, Social Media Pages, and emails as the “Services.”
I. Personal Information
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. The Services collect Personal Information, including:
- Email address
- Diabetes status, if you choose to provide this information to us
- Donor information, such as name, postal address, email, phone number, amount donated, and payment details
- Social media account ID
A. Collection of Personal Information
We and our service providers collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including through your use of the Services. For example, we collect Personal Information when you sign up for our newsletter, make a donation, use our forms to contact your government representatives, create an account, or contact customer service. We may use a third-party payment service to collect and process payment card details when you make a donation through our Websites.
B. Use of Personal Information
We and our service providers use Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Providing the functionality of the Services and fulfilling your requests.
- To send you news, articles, and other information, and to alert you to new published content on the Services.
- To receive and facilitate your donations to the Foundation, verify your information, and provide you with related customer service.
- To respond to our inquiries and fulfill your requests, when you contact us via our online contact form or otherwise.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- Providing you with our newsletter and/or other fundraising materials about the Foundation and facilitating social sharing.
- To send you newsletters and fundraising emails with information about our services, how to donate, and other news about the Foundation.
- To facilitate any social sharing functionality that you choose to use.
- Analyzing Personal Information to understand our readership, provide personalized services, and for business reporting.
- To track the performance of content on our Services, for example, how frequently an article is read online or how many people click on one of our emails.
- To analyze or predict our users’ preferences in order to prepare aggregated trend reports on how our digital content is used, so we can improve our Services.
- To better understand your interests and preferences, so that we can personalize our interactions with you and provide you with information tailored to our interests.
- To better understand your preferences so that we can deliver content via our Services that we believe will be relevant and interesting to you.
- Aggregating and/or anonymizing Personal Information.
- We may aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information so that it will no longer be considered Personal Information. We do so to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose, as it no longer identifies you or any other individual.
- Accomplishing our business purposes.
- For data analysis, for example, to improve the efficiency of our Services;
- For audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and to address legal, regulatory, or contractual requirements;
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft;
- For developing new services and products;
- For enhancing, improving, repairing, maintaining, or modifying our current services and products, as well as undertaking quality and safety assurance measures;
- For identifying usage trends, for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to users; and
- For determining the effectiveness of our donation and promotional campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users.
C. Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose Personal Information:
- To our third party service providers, to facilitate services they provide to us.
- These can include providers of services such as website hosting, data analysis, donation collection and processing, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and other services.
- By using the Services, you may elect to disclose Personal Information.
- On our Social Media Pages and other services to which you are able to post information and content. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public.
D. Other Uses and Disclosures
We also use and disclose your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate, in particular when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so:
- To comply with applicable law and regulations.
- This may include laws outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with public and government authorities.
- To respond to a request or to provide information we believe is necessary or appropriate.
- These can include authorities outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with law enforcement.
- For example, when we respond to law enforcement requests and orders or provide information we believe is important.
- For other legal reasons.
- To enforce our terms and conditions; and
- To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- In connection with a reorganization or joint venture.
- We may disclose or transfer your Personal Information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, assignment, transfer, joint venture, or other disposition of all or any portion of our organization or assets, such as if we combine with another entity.
- We do not sell or give away your email address or personal information outside of our organization.
II. Other Information
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual. The Services collect Other Information such as:
- Browser and device information
- IP address (we may also derive your approximate location from your IP address)
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Other information provided by you through your participation in our customer research projects, for example, your opinions about our content, that does not reveal your specific identity
- Information that has been aggregated in a manner such that it no longer reveals your specific identity
A. Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Your browser or device.
- Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your device manufacturer and model, operating system name and version, IP address and general geographic location as indicated by your IP address, internet browser type and version, language, and screen resolution. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Pixel tags and other similar technologies.
- Pixel tags. Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
B. Uses and Disclosures of Other Information
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Policy. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
IV. Choices and Access
If you no longer want to receive newsletters and/or fundraising emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in any newsletters and/or fundraising emails. You can also email us at contact@diaTribe.org.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving newsletters and fundraising emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
V. Third Party Services
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure, or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media platform provider, app developer, or app provider, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Pages.
VI. Use of Services by Minors
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not use the Services.
VII. Jurisdiction and Cross-Border Transfer
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you understand that your information will be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country.
VIII. Sensitive Information
Unless we request it, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, or criminal background) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
X. Contacting Us